Subject Matter Expert | Fashion Design | Technical Studio II + III | Online Adjunct Faculty Job at Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design Remote
Full Job Description
Fashion Design Technical Studio II + III
Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design seeks qualified applicants to serve as Subject Matter Expert in Fashion Design II for our Fashion Design department. The Subject Matter Expert will support course development projects for online curriculum and contribute to a growing, dynamic community of diverse educators. RMCAD is a small, premier college certified by HLC and NASAD offering degrees in fine and applied arts. RMCAD’s online program consists of eight-week courses offered monthly. Subject Matter Experts are assigned courses and course development projects based on availability and program development needs.
Develop course instruction content and media in intermediate and advanced technical design. Expanding on basic garment development and construction skills to include creative draping, elevating basic patterns, using back and forth experimentation in 2D and 3D draping and drafting to develop designs, and resolving designs for construction and finishing. Students will acquire broad familiarity with fashion industry draping and drafting processes, such as design thinking and iteration development fluency. To broaden their knowledge, students focus on experimentation in the sampling process and the development of spec sheets. In the advanced course, they will play with proportion, volume, and characteristics of scale. Through topical lectures, applied exercises, and projects, students will further understand the applications and integration of the design in garment construction and development and its relevance to their design process to fully realize creative visions.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Fashion Department Chair and Head of Online Fashion to plan, schedule, and execute course development projects within 12-week timeframes for initialization and completion.
- Provide detailed course content for delivery across an 8-week term, according to RMCAD online instructional needs and standards.
- Provide timely, periodic, and meaningful updates on progress to both the Department Chair, Online Head, and any instructional designers supporting the course development project.
- Provide organized presentations, video demos, discussion prompts, assignments, and relevant critique formats as part of a contemporary and progressive fashion pedagogy that aligns with the course description and course learning outcomes.
- MA, MFA or substantial professional experience in fashion design, draping and drafting.
- Must reside in AZ, CA, CO, FL, NY, NJ, or VA.
- Must have a minimum 2 years of fashion design and garment construction.
- Must be proficient in experimental and creative draping/patternmaking, pattern manipulation, ideation and concept development.
- Have a good understanding of the back and forth 2D to 3D experimentation process in garment construction design development.
- Have a good understanding of appropriate tailoring and finishing techniques.
- Have a good understanding of innovations and emerging materials and processes in the field focusing on human-centered, high tech and sustainability.
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign is desirable.
- Knowledge of CLO3D is required.
- Proficiency in digital collaboration through Google platforms.
- Strong academic course content writing skills (required) for an online platform (desirable).
- Strong time and project management skills required.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience.
- College-level teaching experience preferred.
- ONLINE Teaching experience preferred.
Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design (RMCAD) is an innovative, rigorous, and community-oriented global learning environment that inspires passion for critical thinking and prepares learners to be forces of change in the creative industries, our communities, and the world. RMCAD was established in 1963 by Philip J. Steele, who had a vision to provide students with a quality higher education in art and design. RMCAD continues to experience growth since its comparatively modest beginnings and now thrives on a lush, historic campus including more than 23 acres of land and 16 buildings. We are also pioneers in the online learning environment for art and design. RMCAD currently has over 1,400 students enrolled.
RMCAD is dedicated to living its mission and values, specifically that “Our students come first.” The college continuously works with faculty and staff towards developing an evolving student-ready paradigm. RMCAD is dedicated to diversity and inclusion and maintains a policy of inclusiveness that recognizes values and reflects the diversity of the community it serves. The college fosters a dynamic learning and working environment that encourages multiple perspectives and the free exchange of ideas. We welcome people from a multitude of backgrounds who are committed to creativity, academic excellence, societal and cultural evolution and betterment, civility, mutual respect, social justice, and the free and open exchange of ideas.
About the Company
Company: Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design
Company Location: Remote